Tuesday, May 10, 2016

walk blog 13

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Or so the saying goes.
I have a story to tell and I wish I had taken a picture
but I didn't
so let see how many words it will take.

**********************

I was walking the other day on the east mountain.
On garbage day, of course,
so I could scoop up some appropriate laundry soap containers
from recycling bins of kind citizens
for the laundry soap making workshop 
that I host called “The Soap Kitchen”.
It was near the school that Mary and Connor go to
and it was 'dropping the kids off to school time'.
I wondered if I would see them.

At one point a blue minivan was about to go past me
and the vehicle slows down
and the windows are rolled down
and a couple of heads pop out that I recognize.
One of them belongs to my daughter Karen
who was undoubtedly dropping the kids off at school.

Mothers Day was coming up soon 
and I thought of the kind words
that I might hear from this daughter of mine.
Words that were worth slowing down and 
pulling over to the side of the road for.
Words of love and care for the mother who birthed her.

Instead the barrage that was launched included words like
“I'm so embarrassed”
“Are you going through the garbage again?”
“My mother is walking around like a homeless person”

They were said with a smile and a twinkle in her eye.

Maybe I should walk around her neighbourhood 
a little more often.


1169ish words

No comments:

Post a Comment