Saturday, July 9, 2016

walk blog 14

I DID IT.

In September 2014 I started walking.
After a couple of weeks I started enjoying it.
Then I started marking out the routes I had taken.
I thought to myself -
wouldn't it be an accomplishment to walk on
every single one of the streets on the Hamilton Mountain?

So I started walking.

At first I walked just from home and then from certain spots.
I parked in front of Leida's and Anne's and Joan's and Danielle's
and I walked in their neighbourhoods.
I parked at Value Village and at a couple of churches
and an empty parking lot and I walked.

I walked in the heat. I walked in the rain.
I walked in the snow. Once walked in a blizzard.

I wore out one pair of shoes and I am on my next.

I walked down smooth wonderful tree lined sidewalks.
I walked down country roads with no sidewalks and only narrow shoulders that forced me to flee into a ditch when a car approached.

I started out walking in silence and now I usually listen to podcasts.

I walked down familiar streets and I got all turned around
and got lost in some of the surveys.

I have seen my city from a wonderful viewpoint
and it is one that I recommend everyone take.
Get out and see what your neighbourhood is like and
what other neighbourhoods are like.

This morning I walked down the last street that filled in my map.


It was East 38th. Which was a street I lived on over 50 years ago.
So the map is filled in.


Where to next?

3 comments: