Tuesday, April 10, 2012

three stories about basking

Story #1
Last week I went with Anne to the doctor to help with the twins who were getting their 6 month needles. While in the waiting room there was a lady who asked questions about the babies - names, how old, how big when born etc. I answered some of the questions and Anne answered the others. The lady then asked a question that Anne answered and she looked at me and said, "You are not the mother - she is (indicating Anne), I thought you were the mother (indicating me) and she was your helper." Well, that was quite a boost to my ego. I wanted to ask her if she was getting her vision tested soon but thought the better of it and decided that I would have to just bask in the compliment. 

Story #2
A number of years ago I was standing next to my father at church and the new pastor walked by. He had met my dad but had not yet met my mother. The young man stopped and asked my dad (indicating me) "Chuck, is this your wife?"
Maybe one shouldn't be too quick to bask in anything - particularly a compliment.

Story #3
 In the fellowship hall at church on Sunday Martin was talking to an old friend who he hadn't seen in a couple of years. Jack had been asking about our kids because Anne and Andrew had performed a song with some others during the offertory and Jack asked if any of our other kids were there. He looked over towards me and saw that I was talking with Tena. He asked Martin, "Is that your daughter Karen talking with Anita?" Jack had thought my friend who is less than a year younger than I am if she was my daughter. Yikes. Bask away, Tena.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, based on all three posts, I think this means you are a "timeless classic"!!

    ReplyDelete