Friday, July 22, 2011

speaking of water

I should have put this entry next to the sod one a couple back.

A number of years ago my father-in-law, who lived just down the road from us, had a garden at our place. He would come over from time to time to weed or water.

On what was promising to be a hot summer day we had been without water service since early morning. Tough when you are trying to do laundry or do the dishes or take a shower. I guessed that they were working on a water main somewhere down the road.



So when my father-in-law showed up to water the garden I was surprised that the water had been turned back on. Since he lived just down the road from us I assumed that his water had been turned off as well and wouldn't have thought that he would come over to water the garden when there was no water.
 


So I asked him, "How was your water this morning?"
He looked at me puzzledly, "My water?"
"Yes, your water, how was it this morning?"
"You want to know about my water?"
"Yeah, Dad, how was your water this morning?"

There is a look on his face that shows he is uncomfortable with what he is about to reveal but I can tell he feels he is obligated to reply to my question.
"Well, I peed this morning and everything was fine, why do you ask?"

It was then that I realised that he was thinking of an entirely different type of water and was trying to figure out why I was so insistent about knowing his personal plumbing habits.

We've had a few laughs about that one.
So when someone who knows the story asks me a question I might not want to answer I sometimes reply with "So how's your water?"

No comments:

Post a Comment