Saturday, July 23, 2011

welcome to vaughan

A number of years ago I was travelling with a friend to a Saturday women's leadership conference in Toronto. Both of us have some issues when if comes to driving to an unknown location. It was decided that she was to drive and I was to navigate.

Maps were consulted, options looked at and a route prepared. We both liked the idea of going up especially early because we wanted to leave time to get lost and still not be late. 

But we (meaning me - I was the navigator after all) somehow got sidetracked.
Driving along and looking for our next exit we came across a sign that told us that we were not where we were supposed to be.
This wasn't the exact sign but it had said the same thing.

Welcome to Vaughan


Now when you are heading north you have to concede that you have gone too far when you see a sign welcoming you into the next city passed the one that you were aiming for.

We got off of the highway and actually got there rather quickly after that. The route we drove kept us on a highway and around a lot of suburban traffic lights. But that had lots to do with luck and hardly anything to do with my navigational skills.

So, this friend and I have a phrase that will instantly tell one how the other is feeling when she uses the phrase "Welcome to Vaughan"

Now, whenever I am facing the unknown and I think I might have lost my way.
I say to myself "Welcome to Vaughan"

No comments:

Post a Comment