Sunday, August 28, 2011

"stinkende vlees te koop"

When I was a little girl my father would put me on his shoulders and parade me around the house. We went from room to room and he would always carefully duck when we reached a doorway. While he would parade me around the house he would chant a Dutch phrase - "stinkende vlees te koop"

As a little girl I did not know what it meant. 
I thought it meant that I was a princess. 
The words didn't change much during our march around the house.
But I just knew that my daddy was singing my praises.


I thought that the words could have been translated to mean this:
"Here I come with the princess, isn't she beautiful?
Let us sing a song for the princess and clap our hands 
and be happy for the princess"


And so our royal parade continued through my little girl years.
It wasn't until many years later that I found out what the translation was.

Apparently my father marched me about the house chanting
"stinky meat for sale"


'Nuff said?

2 comments:

  1. hahahhahaah.. yep.. think he could still carry us on his shoulders? I think he might try! hahhaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there is a picture of Jennifer on his shoulders. I couldn't find one with me but maybe one is kicking around somewhere

    ReplyDelete