Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bah pumpkinbug

Halloween is coming up this week and I must admit that I am rather ambivalent about the whole thing.

I don't really have anything against the idea of dressing up the youngest of our population 
and letting them loose on the neighbourhoods of our community 
to procure as much sugar as they can.

And I don't have any prejudice against the decorations 
that most like to bestow upon their homes.

Just don't really feel like doing it myself.

Although I will admit to being rather fond of the lowly pumpkin.
for it's colour - 
for its innerds that can look like guts -
for it's seeds that can be roasted -
for it's ability to contribute mightily to the grand pumpkin pie
(that when dolloped by whipped cream makes a most fine dessert)

Since we have lived here (since August of 1986) 
I think I can count on one hand the amount of 
trick-or-treaters that we have had come to our door.

There should be a term that we can use to utter the declaration that we have decided
 to opt out of the Halloween celebrating
 just as Scrooge was allowed to declare 'bah humbug' to anything Christmasy
we should have a word...
Anyone got one?

No comments:

Post a Comment