Friday, November 5, 2010

He is Grandma's brother

Our daughter had once told me that it was a shame that we didn't know any famous people. This social disgrace was hard for her. She thought that I should be able to do something about our not knowing any really important or famous people.

This was about the time that sprinting athlete Donovan Bailey was winning Olympic medals for Canada. My mother's maiden name is Bailey.
So I told our fourth daughter that Donovan Bailey was her Grandma's brother.

She was in grade school at the time and reported her newly found celebrity relative to her friends.
The fact that Donovan Bailey is black and her Grandma is white did not bring her to question my sincerity. I don't know if her revelation was met with disbelief or not.

Her unquestioning belief in what I said proved to me that sometimes we want something strongly enough that we will not question the package it comes in when we get the present that we wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment