Monday, November 1, 2010

It's your eyes - do you have a brother named Doug?

I met Odilia about this time last year. We chatted and she told me that I looked familiar. I couldn't place her so we went back and forth about where we could have known each other. Bank? Work? School? Soccer? Kids? Nothing was fitting and I was assuming that we would never know.
After talking a bit longer, she asked me, "It's your eyes, do you have a brother named Doug?"
Yes, I do have a brother named Doug.
But Doug moved to Holland years ago. 
It would have been years since she had seen him. She was a friend of Doug's friend Helen. And she had never met me.
Without knowing my maiden name or much else that would connect me to Doug, it ended up being my eyes that made her think of him.
It seems that we are not these unconnected creatures running around on the planet that we may think that we are. I think that who we are and where we come from makes a difference. And where we are going is one of the most important questions to ask.
So who do you look like? It isn't just familial features or gestures either. Who shares your faith? A hobby? An experience? A passion?
Hopefully we will begin to see that we are more alike than we thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment