Friday, May 4, 2012

another Carol who I just love


Later on today my brother Jeff and I are going to see Carol Burnett.
I am so looking forward to it.
I got her latest book and have been reading it all week.
Below is part of an interview she gave describing the show that we are going to see.


Forty years on, CAROL BURNETT’s self-titled CBS variety series (which aired from 1967 to 1978) still stands tall as an exemplar of TV sketch comedy. She chatted with us in regard to her traveling show "Laughter and Reflection."
You’ve done this show before.
Uh huh. The show is called “Laughter and Reflection”; I’ve been doing this quite a few years as an extension of the Q&As I did on my TV show as a warm up every week. They were such fun to do, I decided I might go out and do some evenings in theaters, bump up the lights and just wing it, you know? It’s a little nerve-racking at times, but always exciting, and fun because there are no “plants” in the audience, I don’t read any questions that are pre-submitted, and I never know what anyone is going to ask. It’s totally seat of the pants. What it does is keep the adrenaline and the old gray matter ticking.
Each show is different, although over the years I’ve grown to expect certain questions that are always the same. I call on questioners at random, but usually somebody’s gonna ask me how I came about doing the Tarzan yell, or “is Tim Conway really that funny in real life?” I love that expression, “in real life.” And how did I find Vicki [Lawrence] and Harvey [Korman], and what were my most embarrassing moments—things like that. So I can call up some stories that actually have developed out of these evenings over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment