Saturday, May 12, 2012

this time together

Last week Friday I was able to go to Niagara Falls with my brother Jeff to see a show put on by Carol Burnett. She showed some clips from her old variety show and answered questions from the audience. It was notable to see the outpouring of love and affection towards her by members of the audience. That kind of admiration has to be a bit heady at times.

She was asked lots of questions which she used as a stepping point to relate some of her stories.  She regaled us with the time Tim Conway was pulled over by the police, how she met Vicki Lawrence, the ushering job she was fired from and lots more. Many of these stories were in her book This Time Together but she told it in such a special way that our laughter freely flowing that evening.
I was able to ask the second last question of the evening. I wish I could remember the exact wording but I will try to summarize. 

     I bought your book last week and finished it before I got here. The chapters are just the right length for time spent in the bathroom. There were some chuckles here and she made some sort of crack about fibre of some such thing. Since you wrote such a nice book for me I thought that I would write a book for you. Since you are always answering questions I wrote down a question on each page. Just in case you ever have an audience with no questions - you can answer these. My first question is - What is your favourite charity?

She answered and someone from her staff came over to get the book from me and offered to get her autograph for my copy of her book.
After the show the book was returned with the signature of the author. The wonderful and remarkable Carol Burnett.

No comments:

Post a Comment